Monday, January 5, 2009

The process that is the Universe

In my Zen meditation we walk very slowly around the room. An inch at a time. I didn’t understand what the reason for doing this was. One day I realized what this practice was doing for me. It was teaching me that we are always moving forward but as humans we tend to want to move faster through moments. Through this I was beginning to learn patience. Experiencing the journey and not waiting to get to a destination. There is no destination. It’s a practice to help you experience the journey. It is helping me to understand that life isn’t about a destination that I need to hurriedly get to. The Universe is always moving forward. Except as humans in this society especially we are not in tune with that rhythm which is the very way that the universe works. We put ourselves at odds with the natural flow of the universe. We know that mountains and rivers are constantly changing but as humans we can’t physically see that. But we know it does. Our life is part of the whole universe that was moving forward before we became into existence and will continue to move forward after we are not here anymore.
Realizing and knowing the rhythm of the universe helps you be a part of it. Allows it to flow through you and for you to flow through it. We are used to the now. We want instant gratification. We want to fill our needs and desires now. We expect things to change overnight. They don’t. Setting your mind to the tune of the way universe moves we are in tune with the world around us instead of pushing it forward to some destination that you want to get to.
I know that when I was born I didn’t have a sense of time. But after I had realized that time existed I started even at the deepest core of my being starting to want things to move forward wanting to get somewhere. We are watching the clock within us to see how much time it takes to get anywhere. The more I understand this concept of time the more understand that we are constantly moving and flowing forward. Once we start with that little voice in our head that I will never get there, what is taking so long, we are going against time. Remember you are always on your way.

No comments: